This 3-week residential programme, which has been taking place every year since 1998 at CERN during the month of July, is open to teachers from all CERN member and observer states, as well as from other countries subject to funding availability, who would like to update their knowledge of particle physics, its associated technologies and related subjects.
- To promote the teaching of physics and, in particular of particle physics, in high schools
- To promote the exchange of knowledge and experience among teachers of different nationalities
- To expose teachers to the world of research
- To stimulate activities related to the popularization of physics within and beyond the classroom
- To help CERN establish closer links with European schools
- To encourage the cooperation between CERN and existing programs sponsored by the European Union in the area of scientific education
The work produced during the 3-week programme is documented and collected by the participants at -
Please consult this site for more details about the programme, and for a good collection of materials to be used in the class-room.
Who can attend?
All high school teachers from the CERN member states can apply to participate in the programme. Some funds may be available to support teachers from non-member states as well. Please note that all applicants should :
- have a good working knowledge of the English language (this is VERY IMPORTANT as the programme will be delivered entirely in English)
- have some basic computing skills (use of mail and of the Web)
- be committed to attend in full the 3 weeks of the programme (no late arrivals, no early departures)
Preference in the selection will go to teachers who have a proven experience of extra-curricular activities, such as:
- participation in EU-sponsored programmes (Comenius, etc)
- organization of educational activities (Physics Olimpiades, Summer courses for students)
- contribution to the planning of national curricula
- writing of text-books
- involvement in the activites of National Teachers's Associations, or other national and international educational bodies
No a-priori knowledge of or experience with high-energy physics is required, but a good working knowledge of English is essential in order to get maximum benefit from the programme.
The 2012 Programme:
The programme will take place at CERN during the period
1 July (arrival date) - 21 July (departure date)
The programme content will be similar to previous year's and will be published closer to the start date. Click here to see the details of the 2011 programme.
All participants will be housed in the CERN on-site hostel facilities.
Financial support will be provided to all participants from CERN member states.
The support will cover up to 2000 CHF for living expenses, and up to 500 CHF for travel costs.
HST2012 Application Instructions:
To apply for HST2012, all applicants other than those from the USA and Canada, must register with the CERN e-Recruitment system and follow a 2-part process in which you are asked to supply Personal Details, answer some HST2012 specific questions and optionally include your Curriculum Vitae (CV).
Please carefully read the instructions that are provided at each stage of the process.
The application process is now open and will close on 16 March 2012.
Applicants from the USA are asked to contact the US HST coordinator.
Applicants from Canada are asked to consult the website of the Canadian Association of Physicists.
All other candidates are should follow this link to apply for HST2012.
For further information, please contact:
HST Programme Coordinator
tel: +41 (0) 22 767 8264
fax: +41 (0) 22 766 9769