Energy consumption related to data processing is one of the main environmental impacts of CERN’s IT infrastructure and activities. Around 75% of the energy used in data centre activities at CERN is for data processing, while the remaining 25% is dedicated to data storage.
As shown in this infographic, three main actors could contribute to reducing energy consumption in data processing, thereby reducing CERN’s environmental impact: industry, CERN as an organisation, and the CERN community.
Read more on how CERN is working to reduce the environmental impact of its IT infrastructure here.
This infographic is part of the series “CERN’s Year of Environmental Awareness”.