The Science Gateway is CERN’s emblematic new centre for scientific education, communication and outreach. Designed by the architect Renzo Piano, the building will house immersive exhibitions, laboratories to educate the public through hands-on activities and a 900-seat auditorium. These new areas will help us to reach new audiences aged five and upwards, to enhance our engagement with the local population and to encourage young people to take up careers in science.
The inauguration ceremony will take place on Saturday, 7 October 2023. The event will be the culmination of an ambitious project and the start of a new chapter in the life of CERN. Nearly 900 people (Council delegates, donors, representatives of local authorities and the Host States) are expected to attend.
In addition to attending the official ceremony, which will take place in the auditorium, the guests will have the opportunity to explore the site through various activities that will be on offer throughout the day. The programme will include tours of the exhibitions, where children (supervised by volunteers) will interact with the visitors, as well as stands on the Piazza and workshops in the laboratories.
We need volunteers!
For the ceremony we need help with the logistics, welcoming and informing visitors and supervising the exchanges between the children and the guests at the exhibitions and in an interactive game.
The day will be split up into several time slots (including breaks) and a detailed schedule will be drawn up according to your availability. Sign up to volunteer!
- You must have a CERN contract (MPE, MPA, official guide, external contractors’ personnel (ECP) or temporary worker (TEMC)) and be aged 18 or over.
- You must be fluent in English and/or French (according to your role).
- You will be required to attend one of the general information sessions.
- You will also be required to attend a briefing on the specific role you will be assigned.
- You must have followed the special training course for use of the Science Gateway (several sessions are planned for September – sign up at https://guides.web.cern.ch/agenda-trainings)
- You may be asked to take part in a rehearsal.
Dress code and meals
- We will lend you one of the official red Science Gateway vests, which you will be required to wear throughout the event and return at the end of the day.
- Lunch will be provided.
For more information and to register: https://indico.cern.ch/e/sg-volunteers
Registration deadline: 20 September 2023 – before midnight.
Thank you for volunteering!